The Desmond Castle is located on the
edge of the village of Adare, just off the N21.
This castle was erected
with an ancient ring-fort, around the early part
of the 13th century. It became a strategic
fortress during the following turbulent years. It
was the property of the Earls of Kildare for
nearly 300 years until the rebellion in 1536, when
it was forfeited and granted to the Earls of
Desmond who gave the castle its present name.